August 2, 2018
TO: Superintendents, Principals and Athletic Directors
FROM: Peter Weber, Executive Director
SUBJECT: Summary of Executive Board Action at the Summer Workshop Meeting
At the OSAA Executive Board Summer Workshop in Redmond, the OSAA Executive Board took the following actions:
- Adopted the Athletic Officials Handbook (AOH) for the 2018-19 school year. For more information, click http://www.osaa.org/docs/officials/AOH.pdf.
- Adopted changes to Board Policy – Lightning Safety Guidelines aligning with recent changes made by the NFHS to all NFHS rules books.
- Adopted changes to Board Policy – Reporting Schedules and Results requiring varsity team sport rosters be inputted on the OSAA website.
- Adopted changes to Board Policy – State Championships – Home Team Designation clarifying past practice that the team with the better Adjusted Playoff Ranking (APR) shall be the designated home team for all rounds.
- Adopted changes to Board Policy – State Championships – Rankings including updating seasonal dates after which contests won’t be counted, counting contests vs. schools one classification away in the Colley rankings, requiring at least four rankable contests in football, and detailing how division champions in large football special districts will be treated for home games/avoiding same league matchups in 1st round contests.
- Adopted Special District placements for Cascade HS for Swimming, Wrestling, Boys and Girls Tennis, and Boys Golf for the 2018-19 school year. Additionally, voted to switch Wrestling Special District placements for Newport HS and Woodburn HS.
- Adopted the 2018-19 Eligibility Appeals Board roster and calendar of hearing dates.
- Approved requests from the following schools for Full Membership beginning with the 2018-19 school year:
- Kings Valley Charter – 1A-3 Mountain West League (plans to co-op with Falls City in football and Philomath in other activities)
- Approved sites for the 2019 Track & Field Championships: 6A, 5A @ Mt. Hood Community College, 4A, 3A @ Mt. Hood Community College, and 2A, 1A @ Western Oregon University.
- Adopted a change to the weigh-in procedures for Wrestling requiring contestants to wear a legal competition uniform (singlet) beginning with the 2018-19 season.
- Adopted 14 weight classes for Girls Wrestling for the 2018-19 season: 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 155, 170, 190, and 235.
A summary of Executive Board actions is posted on the OSAA website following each Executive Board Meeting. Detailed official minutes of the Executive Board Summer Meeting are available from the OSAA upon request.
(A PDF version of this summary can be accessed here: http://www.osaa.org/docs/board/20180725summary.pdf.)